Amazon Pay Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- What is Amazon Pay?
Amazon Pay is a payment service that provides you with an ability to use the payment methods already associated with your Amazon Account to make payments for goods or services on third-party merchant websites or apps. To make a payment, you can use any of the payment methods provided including the ones available in your Amazon Account (except Amex cards).
- How do I sign up if I already have an Amazon Account?
If you already have an account with Amazon, you are ready to start using Amazon Pay on any third-party merchant website/app. There is no separate registration process.
- I am not an Amazon Customer. Can I still use Amazon Pay?
Yes, but you will need to sign up for an Amazon Account first. Once you click on Amazon Pay on any third party website or app, you will be redirected to a sign in page. Click on “Create your Amazon account” link and sign up for an Amazon Account. Once your account is created, you can start using Amazon Pay.
- How do I change my account information?
For making any changes to your account, visit the ‘My Account’ section on Amazon. These changes may include a password change, adding or editing card information, modification to addresses and so on.
- I’m already an Amazon Pay user, what has changed now?
Fantastic! With the new solution, we now accept Amazon Pay Balance as a payment method and support digital purchases (which don’t need a delivery address).
- How is Login with Amazon (LWA) different from Amazon Pay?
Login with Amazon is a login service which enables you to login into third party websites or apps using your Amazon Account credentials. With LWA you don’t need to remember or create new login passwords. Moreover, if you already have the Amazon app installed on your phone and are already logged in, then clicking the LWA button automatically logs you into any third party app which supports LWA. Amazon Pay on the other hand is, in addition to the above, a payments service which makes all your stored cards and Amazon Pay Balance available to you for making payments on our partner merchants’ websites or apps.
- How do I use Amazon Pay Balance on third-party websites or app and how is it different from paying on Amazon?
The Amazon Pay Balance payment experience on third-party websites or apps is the same as that on Amazon. The amount reflected in your Amazon Pay Balance account can now be used for payments on third-party websites or apps that accept Amazon Pay as a payment method. You can access this balance by simply entering your Amazon Account email address and password.
- Is my payment information shared with anyone?
We do not share your payment method information with merchants who accept Amazon Pay on their websites or apps. Because your Amazon Pay account is linked to your Amazon Account, any changes you make to your payment methods in your Amazon Account will automatically reflect on your Amazon Pay account.
- What payment methods can be used with Amazon Pay?
Any of the payment methods available on your Amazon Account can be used with Amazon Pay (except Amex cards). Please note that you can also use your Amazon Pay Balance when making purchases with Amazon Pay on third-party websites or apps.
- Can I pay using Cash on Delivery on Amazon Pay?
No, the current solution does not support cash on delivery.
- Is the service chargeable?
No, Amazon Pay is free to use. In certain cases, the merchants may levy an additional charge for using their service. We will clearly display any such charge to you before you complete the payment process, so that you have complete visibility to what is being charged.
- How do I make a payment?
When you see that Amazon Pay is an accepted payment method on a third party merchants' website or app, simply click the Amazon Pay button, log on using your Amazon Account email address and password, and select your payment method. See Paying for Goods and Services for more information.
- Can l also reload or top up my Amazon Balance account on third-party websites or apps?
No, you can only top up Amazon Pay Balance from the Amazon website or app which will be accepted across all third party merchant websites or apps which accept Amazon Pay.
- I don’t have enough Amazon Balance to cover the product/service price. Can I still use it to buy?
Yes, you can pay for the product or service even if the price is higher than your Amazon Balance. You can use a combination of Amazon Balance and another payment method to pay for the product.
- Is Amazon Pay available on my mobile? Do I need to enter my Amazon Account details every time I have to pay?
Yes, the service is available on the mobile browser as well as on Android and iOS apps that accept Amazon Pay. In case you have installed and used the Amazon app on your phone, post your first purchase, you can access the payment methods that you have saved in the Amazon app on the third-party apps without actually having to enter the e-mail address and password registered with Amazon. Amazon will validate the stored information on your phone and automatically sign you in. We encourage you to download the Amazon app on your phone as it will make payments using Amazon Pay seamless across third party apps.
- After I logged into the Amazon Pay first time, I saw a screen. What should I do?
While using Amazon Pay for the first time on any merchant, we require your consent for us to share your name and e-mail address with the merchant. Please click I agree to complete the transaction.
- After I logged in I saw a screen where I said ‘I agree’, but now I don’t want the merchant to have my information anymore. What can I do?
Click here to see the list of merchants with whom you have agreed to share your name and e-mail address through Amazon Pay. Click Remove if you don’t want particular merchants to use your shared information. Though this won’t ensure that merchants will remove your information from their database, no merchant can misuse the information as this would mean violating the Merchant Agreement terms and Conditions. In case you don’t want the merchant to contact you, you can unsubscribe from all his marketing communications as well.
- Across merchants I see this service being offered differently. Some sites show only my Amazon Balance but others show my stored cards in addition to the Amazon Balance as well. Why is this so?
We offer payment methods to our merchants on the basis of their choice. Some of our merchants already have a large number of customers who have stored their card details with them and hence they don’t really need our stored cards solution. In such cases they only choose Amazon Balance to be displayed as a payment method for their customers.
- Some sites show only my Amazon Balance when I log in but how do I pay if I don’t have enough balance in my account?
In case Amazon Balance is the only option visible and you don’t have enough balance to pay for your purchase, click here to top up your Amazon Balance through your Amazon Account to complete the purchase.
- I'm having a problem with my Amazon Pay account or completing a purchase using my Amazon Pay account. What do I do?
We are sorry you are experiencing a problem with Amazon Pay. Here are some steps you can try:
- Verify that you have entered the e-mail address and password that are associated with your Amazon Account correctly when you are trying to complete a purchase.
- If you have entered your Amazon Account e-mail address and password, but cannot complete your purchase, please check if your payment method is set up correctly. You can do so by referring Changing Your Account Settings.
- If your payment method is set up correctly, but you still cannot complete your purchase, click here to contact us.
- If you cannot create an Amazon Account or you do not have an Amazon Account, Contact Us.
- I think I just received a phishing e-mail. What do I do?
If you receive a phishing e-mail message, we suggest that you report it to us as quickly as possible by contacting our Customer Service. See Internet scams and phishing for information about identifying and reporting phishing e-mails.